Savage Earth: Cold Moon
With skin ranging from grey, through blue to purple and even black, the Asura are often called dark Deva or the underfolk.
The Asura began their existence as Deva, they were once simply a political cult who turned away from the Nagah model in favour of the wider saurian philosophies. Having learned of the Nitzsche belief in self improvement and self determination, the belief in the will to power, they rejected the unity and peace of the Nagah. Cutting almost all ties with their former brothers the Asura retreated into Agartha, a series of underground chasms with a few saurian guru’s and built their city there.
While trade continued with the Nagah and the Deva the Asura evolution took a divergent path influenced by their new philosophies and their sunless lifestyle. Far from any witness they built the sunless kingdom of Agartha where life became much tougher, indeed much cheaper. Deep beneath the earth, in tunnels and chasms lit only by bioluminescent fungi, the Asura have developed a cruel and decadent culture based on strength and dominance. The only law of Agartha is survival of the fittest and chaos is kept in check by the Enforcers – servants of the all powerful bloodlines.
For many of the underfolk, the surface world presents a viable alternative to the eternal struggle of their home. Asura come aboveground either to escape their home or to gain the skills and experience to return and take what they deserve from weaker siblings and neighbours.
- Low Light Vision: The character’s eyes amplify light like a cat’s, allowing him to see in the dark. He ignores attack penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
- Arcane resistance: Because of the magical manipulation of their evolution, all Deva are particularly resistant to magical, psionic or other supernatural powers. They act as if they have 2 points of Armour when hit by damage-causing Arcane powers, and add +2 to their trait rolls when resisting opposed powers. Even friendly arcane powers must subtract this modifier to affect the resistant Deva.
- Arcane background: Deva are naturally attuned to the arcane because of the experiments cast upon their ancestors. They gain the Arcane background edge (necessary to purchase any sort of magical, psionic or other supernatural powers) for free.
- Troglodyte: Asura are used to dark forests and underground dwellings and their eyes are susceptible to bright lights. In normal daylight they suffer a -2 on Trait rolls made to attack or to notice things. Very bright light can blind an Asura for several minutes and he acts as if he had the hindrance: blind.
- Mean: The Asura are naturally arrogant and mean and are generally disliked by all. Even other Asura in the surface world tend to assume a natural enmity to others of their race. Asura suffer -2 to their charisma.