Savage Earth: Cold Moon
Slender and pale skinned, the Deva are a cross between nature spirits and fleshy mammals. Once human they evolved from Cro-Magnon hominids with the guidance and interference of the Nagah who adopted and cared for them. Those ancient humans were slowly subjected to both magical investigation and controlled breeding until they evolved into what they are now.
The average Deva has flesh tones that range from paper white to pastel green, and their hair is dark with vines and flowers intertwined. Many have thorns or obvious capillaries all over their bodies and ears without lobes which tend to end in a point. If there are any obese Deva they remain unseen in their most secret retreats and the most developed body types seem to be little more than athletic.
Deva culture is inherently linked to that of the Nagah saurians and the majority of their settlements are either districts in the Nagah cities or suburbs within nearby forests. They share the same religion and political outlook for the most part, and even those who disagree with the Nagah hierarchy are more likely to leave India than to incite rebellion.
Because of the countless arcane alterations made upon them using the natural energies of wild magic, Deva are uniquely attuned to the living world. This special link is strongest between them and the flora and environment of the jungles and forests of The Perfumed Empire, but they remain tied to the land wherever they travel. Despoiled rivers and the acrid stench of burning woods seem to be sensed by Deva long before they are seen and because of this they prefer to keep any visit to the cities short. They make remarkable woodmen and farmers at home and exemplary rangers and trackers when they take up the adventurer path.
- Agile: Deva are graceful and agile. They start with a d6 in Agility instead of a d4. When moving through forests they suffer no penalties due to obstacles or terrain and can move through the trees at running pace.
- Arcane resistance: Because of the magical manipulation of their evolution, all Deva are particularly resistant to magical, psionic or other supernatural powers. They act as if they have 2 points of Armour when hit by damage-causing Arcane powers, and add +2 to their trait rolls when resisting opposed powers. Even friendly arcane powers must subtract this modifier to affect the resistant Deva.
- Arcane background: Deva are naturally attuned to the arcane because of the experiments cast upon their ancestors. They gain the Arcane background edge (necessary to purchase any sort of magical, psionic or other supernatural powers) for free.
- Tied to the land: Deva are magically linked tot he environment and suffer greatly from disease and environmental effects, even suffering fatigue in cities and developed areas. They subtract 2 from all vigor rolls made to resist poison, disease and environmental effects. In cities they grow tired and listless and effect applies to all vigor rolls.
- All Thumbs: Elves have an inbred dislike of mechanical objects, and thus have the All Thumbs Hindrance. They shun most mechanical items and designs.